Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

To honor is to take action...

Today, 11 years ago is one that many of us will never forget. Some of us were too young to fully understand the gravity of the events that occurred, others felt it immediately, while others took a while to grasp what it all really meant. Today, as I check Facebook and read the news, everyone speaks about "remembering".  They "remember" where they were, they "remember" what they were doing, they "remember" how they felt. I too replay the day's events through my head anytime I am reminded of "9/11". However, this will not be about me "remembering" the day and where I was, how I felt, what I did.

I am here to ask you to take action. I am here to remind all of us that 9/11 should be used as a reminder that through misconceptions, lack of respect and arrogance, innocent people can lose their lives. Our world would be a better place if we began to respect each others' differences. Our world would be a better place if we began to listen to one another and let ideas and opinions that are different than ours, broaden our own. Regardless of your opinions about September 11, you have to remember that innocent people died. These people were from every race and religion. Evil doing does not discriminate. So today, I hope you did something that would honor those who innocently passed away for this country. Today, I hope you did something that would honor those who are dedicating their lives for this country. Today, I hope you did something that would honor those who work day in and day out to lead this country. Today, I hope you listened to those around you who think different than you. Today, I hope you respected that we are all different, with different opinions and ideas and that the best way to honor and respect each other is to do just that, respect that not everyone will think like you, look like you or even sound like you. That is what makes this country so amazing. Every single one of us (unless you are a Native American) has blood running in them that comes from a country other than the US of A. We all must remember that.

I am not writing this for any other reason than that I have been blessed with people in my life from all different backgrounds and opinions and from all different walks of life. I am one of the lucky few who was born into a religiously and racially diverse family and so right off the bat I was exposed to so many different ideals. It has taught me much about myself and about those around me. But most importantly, it has taught me to respect and idea, even if it isnt mine.

So, I want to say thank you to all my cousins who are Marines, thank you to my cousin who was in the Navy and thank you to my friends who are in the Reserves. I also want to say thank you to the teachers who teach our children and set foundations allowing them to grow up to be men and women who are able to form their own opinions, thank you to the policemen and women who protect us in our own backyard, thank you to our firemen and women who put their lives in danger to save someone from it, and thank you to every person who works for the government. I know I do not say it enough, but each one of you have had to make a sacrifice somewhere in your life to do what you do. And I especially want to thank the families who watch as their loved ones put someone else's life before their own, in hopes of providing a better future for our next generation. I know I do not thank you enough and I may not always remember what was given up to help support the dream that my parents' had when they came to this country. But that is why at least today I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for doing what you do.

Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. Just found you on GFC blog hop (November 5, 2012... election day). Very poignant that I'd read this blog post today... we have so much to be thankful for. We live in a free and beautiful country, and we are so fortunate that we are able to have the discourse we've had during this election... and every day!

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving your thoughts! I read each and every one and try to answer them as well. Thanks for taking the time :)